1972 is a year in the 20th century.
- Timeline 1
- Saturday, January 1: The smiley face first appeared in print after being trademarked for commercial use the previous year. By October 21, 2015, the Blast from the Past antique shop claimed that the smiley faces from 1972 had become "very rare".
- Saturday, June 24: Joey Baines was arrested for stealing $85,000 from the house of a woman named Mrs. Ellsworth
- Monday, June 26: Marty McFly bragged about his uncle's arrest to his kindergarten class, but he later would forget about the good times he had his uncle Joey, and come to distrust him due to his criminal past.
- Timeline 2
- Dates unknown:
- After an elderly Biff Tannen made himself rich by traveling back to 1955 to give his younger self a Grays Sports Almanac, his younger self became a millionaire by gambling as he knew the results before they happened. Using his wealth, he paid to have a mansion built. When it was completed, he held a ceremony which awarded Lorraine Baines McFly "Mother of the Year for 1972". However, Biff revealed that the ceremony was just a ruse to get Lorraine to show up to his mansion. Sam Baines was amazed at Biff's wealth, and tells Lorraine could have married Biff if he hit him with his car instead of "that other kid".
- Biff Tannen's second wife left him when she found a fallout shelter full of statues and portraits of Lorraine underneath Biff's mansion. An IRS agent entered the fallout shelter and convinced Biff to create a corporation in order to benefit the Nixon administration, which would give the president deniability.
- Dates unknown:
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.