1996 was a year in the 20th century.
- Saturday, June 1: This was the date 1986A Biff Tannen planned to visit using Doc's time machine in order to retrieve information about investment from the future that would help him get elected President of the United States in 1988.
- Sunday, February 11: Back to the Future Part II released on VHS.
- Dates unknown
Behind the Scenes
- Originally, it was theorized that, in what is now considered Timeline 8, Lorraine Tannen shoots and kills Biff during this year, thus explaining why, in a deleted scene from Back to the Future Part II, Old Biff is erased from existence upon returning to 2015. In Back to the Future: Biff to the Future 6, it is revealed that Biff is instead killed by his great-grandfather, Buford Tannen, after Doc Brown sends him back to 1884. Although Lorraine does still shoot Biff, this occurs in 1986 instead of 1996, and her bullet ultimately does not kill him because he uses his payoff book as a bulletproof vest.
- Wednesday, November 22: Back to the Future Part II is released in theaters in the United States.
- Wednesday, December 20: Retour vers le futur 2, the French dubbed version of Back to the Future Part II, is released.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.