Algae cakes were a health snack made by Ernest Philpott during the 1931 Hill Valley Science Expo. They were made in order to make the consumption of algae more pleasant (due in part to sweetening it up with corn syrup). They didn't catch on and were not being made as of 1986.
Aside from the less than popular taste, eating an algae cake resulted in the person's teeth temporarily turning green. Despite being called cakes, they looked like cookies.
During October 12, Marty obtained a box of algae cakes at Hill Valley High School from Cue Ball (who ate some from a package that fell off a truck). Cue Ball found them to be delicious but was also dismayed to find they were staining his teeth, and so agreed to give the package he had to Marty so he wouldn't be tempted to have more. Despite being the one who made them, Ernest found the taste to be horrible when Marty offered him one.
The next day, Ernest passed out free algae cakes to those attending the Science Expo, except for Marty (who stole a box when Ernest was on stage).
- While a box of the cakes read Oceanic Algae Cakes, Marty McFly read it aloud as Dr. Fringle's Algae Cakes.
- Back to the Future: The Game
Notes and references
- Ernest Philpott's onstage lecture in Back to the Future: The Game - Episode 5: OUTATIME.
- Marty mentions that when examining them in Back to the Future: The Game - Episode 4: Double Visions.
- Citizen Brown was reminded of said chemicals when he consumed an algae cake.