- "Size adjusting... fit."
"Drying mode on. Jacket drying. Your jacket is now dry."
- —Voice of jacket
- "Marty pulled off his white striped shirt, leaving only the purple t-shirt he wore underneath. He pulled the jacket from the bag, but, as he pulled it on, was somewhat distressed to realize it was four sizes too big and baggy, with sleeves that hung down to his knees. How could Doc expect him to wear something like this? / Marty shook the sleeves. Was there some way to roll them up or something? His fingers brushed against a small patch near the right cuff — a patch that read UNI-SIZE FORM FIT. / The jacket instantly shrank to fit, sleeves stopping precisely at the wrist as the coat's sides tailored themselves to his rib-cage. After a moment's shock, Marty decided that this was more like it!"
- —From Back to the Future Part II by Craig Shaw Gardner (quote, page 17)
- "In the meantime, he [Marty] might be a little wet [from his having to jump into the artificial lake in Courthouse Square to avoid the hoverboarding Griff's gang], but his mission had been a success. He had told Griff and the others just where to go. Now all he had to do was meet Doc, and this future trip was history! / But there was something wrong with his jacket. It ballooned with air, as Marty heard twin fans whirring on either side of his ribcage. Hot air blasted up from the collar to his face and hair. A small bright orange patch had lit on the cuff of his sleeve. The patch read DRYING MODE. / Five seconds later, he was no longer wet. Hey! As far as Marty was concerned, this future stuff was getting better and better!"
- —From Back to the Future Part II by Craig Shaw Gardner (quote, pages 48 and 49)
The garment had a button on the bottom near the zipper area that auto-adjusted to the wearer and dried itself when wet. As it was performing these actions, it spoke to the wearer on each occasion to let them know what was happening.
Marty Jr. also had one of these jackets, but the auto-adjusting strap was broken off on the left-hand sleeve.
According to the Newsline column on the front page of the October 22, 2015 issue of USA Today, a woman was asphyxiated in an auto-adjusting jacket after overriding the garment's safety system. The manufacturer pointed out that "tightening a garment is no substitute for dieting".
Behind the scenes
- In the novelization (see Quotes above), the jacket does not speak when it performs the 'size adjusting' and 'drying mode' actions. The dialogue for the jacket was presumably added for the movie, so the audience would know what was happening in each instance.
- Back to the Predictions refers to the auto-adjusting and auto-drying jacket as a Size-Adjusting Jacket, Marty's Jacket and a Self-Drying Jacket.
- Auto-adjusting and auto-drying jackets like that seen in Back to the Future Part II are very likely, but have yet to be invented. However, some 'intelligent clothing' designs have been developed which can adjust themselves according to outside temperatures, include Wi-Fi technology and can even provide their own cleaning instructions to a washing machine.
- A self-drying — but sadly not auto-adjusting and also non-speaking — jacket, based on the garment seen in Back to the Future Part II, was crowd funded by the global creative project community Kickstarter in December 2015.
- Back to the Future Part II
- Back to the Future Part II novelization
- Super Back to the Future Part II
- Back to the Future: The Pinball
- Back to the Future: The Card Game
- Special "front page wrap" for real life October 22, 2015 issue of USA Today
- Jacket - Back to the Predictions
- Size-Adjusting Jacket - Back to the Predictions
- Marty's Jacket - Back to the Predictions
- Self-Drying Jacket - Back to the Predictions
- SDJ-01: Self-Drying Jacket by Falyon Wearable Tech - Kickstarter