- " There, on the opposite side of the street, was a big screen showing baseball footage. Marty had seen that kind of special screen in ball parks — they were the latest thing back in 1985. He imagined that, here in the future, those big screens must be everywhere. / The baseball footage disappeared, replaced by a banner headline: / CUBS SWEEP MIAMI IN WORLD SERIES! / Huh? Things really had changed. / "The Cubs win the World Series?" Marty wondered aloud. "Against Miami?'" "
- —From Back to the Future Part II by Craig Shaw Gardner (quote, page 50)
- "100 to 1 shot I tell ya. I wish I could back to the beginning of the season, and bet some money on the Cubbies."
- —Terry to Marty McFly
The Chicago Cubs were an American baseball team.
- At the time, the Chicago Cubs' last victory in the World Series was in 1908. On October 13, 2015, the Cubs defeated the St. Louis Cardinals in Division Series play after winning their Wild Card. They moved on to the National League Championship Series in late October. On October 21 itself, the Cubs were playing the New York Mets at game of the NLCS, having lost the previous three games. The Cubs lost in Game 4.
- The Cardinals are the team supported by Back to the Future writer Bob Gale. (in a bit of irony, director Robert Zemeckis is a Chicago native but favors the cross-town rivals White Sox) Gale explained that since the movie was set in October, it had to feature a World Series joke, and the Cubs were the winners because "what could be more insane than that?"
- Though the film correctly predicted that an MLB team would exist in Miami by 2015, it would not be possible for the Miami Marlins to play the Cubs in the World Series, as both teams play in the National League. In the 2015 season, Miami failed to make the playoffs, but did a season-long "Rewrite the Future" promotion, and hosted a Back to the Future night featuring appearances by Bob Gale and Claudia Wells, in the hopes of "changing the future".
- The 2015 World Series began on October 27, and concluded on November 2, two weeks later than predicted in the film. This is because the Division Series did not exist until 1994, nor the Wild Card Game until 2012. The placement of the World Series would have been correct otherwise.
- In 2016, the Cubs would win the World Series, defeating the Cleveland Indians in 7 games and winning their 3rd World Series championship and first since 1908, breaking the 108-year old drought and the 71-year old Curse of the Billy Goat. The day after the title, the Back to the Future official Twitter joked that the one-year delay compared to Part II was due to the 1994-95 MLB strike disrupting the space-time continuum.
- Back to the Future Part II (Mentioned only)