DC Comics is an American comic book company that was founded as National Allied Publications in 1934. After the Detective Comics series debut in 1937, they became known as Detective Comics, Inc. The name was shortened to its current form in 1977.
On August 8, 2015, Dr. Emmett Brown won first prize at the Hill Valley 1980s Car Expo with his DeLorean, which was 10% off a hover conversion worth $3995.00 at Goldie Wilson Hover Conversion Systems. To get the money he needed for this and the Mr. Fusion, which he had spotted in a store window for $8200, Doc searched the internet for the best investment to make, then traveled back to April 18, 1938 to pick up several new copies of Action Comics issue #1.
He sold one in 2015 or beyond to get the money he needed, and then traveled to 2015 or beyond, and sold another at Southby's Auction House for $2.5 million.
Also in 2015, Lord Vortech began searching for the Foundation Elements that would allow him to take over all of the dimensions in the multiverse. As Doc's flux capacitor was one of these elements, Lord Vortech's former companion, X-PO, summoned Doc Brown and Marty McFly through the portal to Vorton so they could help defeat him. As a result, Doc and Marty met many of the DC Comics heroes and villains whose adventures were chronicled in comic books in their dimension, including Batman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, Superman, Aquaman, Green Lantern, Supergirl, Bane, the Joker, and Harley Quinn.
Lord Vortech traveled back to January 1, 1885 to fetch the flux capacitor when Doc first arrived in that era after the DeLorean time machine was struck by lightning in 1955. Batman, Gandalf, and Wyld Style traveled through the portal to stop him. After helping Seamus McFly, Hubert, Joe Statler, and the Hill Valley Railroad Station ticket officer, Doc arrived in the time machine. They helped clear a path for Doc so that he could hide the time machine, before the townsfolk saw it, at the Delgado Mine.
Doc's worries about future technology in the past would soon become much more of a reality, once Lord Vortech appeared. During the ensuing battle, he summoned many items from the future in an attempt to block their path. One of the items of future technology that came through a portal was a hover converted DeLorean, piloted by Marty McFly, which hit Lord Vortech upon entry.
After the battle ended, and everyone else left through the portal, Marty realized that the items from the future were still there, and jokingly asked Doc what he did to the space-time continuum. Doc responded that he hadn't done anything yet, and suggested that to fix it they head back to the future.
Marty and Doc arrived in the 21st century and were taken through a portal to Foundation Prime. They aided in the final battle against Lord Vortech. Lord Vortech was defeated and placed in a prison dimension, and the multiverse was restored.
Behind the scenes
- The use of Action Comics #1 in "Emmett Brown Visits the Future" was acknowledged by IDW Publishing in the form of a credit on the story's splash page reading "Action Comics #1 appears courtesy of DC Comics".
References to BTTF from DC Comics products/productions
- In the Smallville episode Reckoning, Clark re-lives one day twice. When he explains this to his friend Chloe, she says "Hold on, McFly!", before asking him to give her the full details of the experience.
DC's Legends of Tomorrow
- "Night of the Hawk": While The Legends are in a town during the 1950's Jefferson Jackson/Jax (Part of Firestorm) refers to a bully in the era as Biff.
- "Beebo the God of War": Jax attempts to prevent the death of his mentor Martin Stein (Other half of Firestorm), by giving his younger self a letter to open sometime in 2017. Stein refuses to and later burns the letter mentioning that he saw Back to the Future.
The Flash (2014)
- "What's Past Is Prologue": Just as The Flash and XS prepare to travel to several points in the past, Ralph Dibny/Elongated Man starts playing the song Back in Time.
- A flux capacitor is mentioned by H.G. Wells when repairing his time machine.
Teen Titans Go! To the Movies
- The song briefly plays as the Titans plan to go into the past to alter the origins of several of the super heroes.
Star Trek/Legion of Super Heroes (comic book miniseries)
- Issue 5: The story sees the Legion of Super Heroes, and the crew of Captain James Tiberius Kirk sent into an alternate timeline. Members of both groups encounter an immortal emperor who states that they aren't the only time travelers to visit him. He shows them an exhibit of time travel vehicles, including the DeLorean time machine.
- Back to the Future (IDW Publishing)
- LEGO Dimensions (Many DC Comics characters appear in this game, alongside Marty and Doc)