- " He [Marty] hung the duffel bag on the clothesline T-bar, stepped back and blasted it with a powerful uppercut. The bag recoiled nearly a foot. / "Work on something like that," he said. / "Sure," George nodded. / He heaved a punch at the bag, then another. They weren't championship punches, but Marty noted with some satisfaction that at least he was learning to enjoy it. / "Anger," he prodded. "Anger." / "Right," George growled. "Anger!" / Lashing out with all his strength, George mistimed the sway of the bag and missed it completely. Whizzing past his intended target, his fist smashed solidly into the tree behind it. / "Yeeowww! Goddammit!" he yelled. / "Good," Marty said. "That's real anger." He waved as he walked off. "See you later." / George watch him go, fuming at his own ineptness. His right hand continued to throb but the frustration in him was stronger than the pain. Balling his left hand into a fist, he took two steps forward and uncorked a mighty punch at the slowly swaying bag. The shock of solid contact raced up his arm and he knew instinctively that he had done something right. He was not prepared, however, for the sight of the bag flying loose from the rope, sailing toward and shattering the window of his own home. Realizing the possible repercussions of the broken window, George did what he always did in similar situations — ran away. "
- —From Back to the Future by George Gipe (quote, page 193)
A duffel bag was a large cylindrical bag made from thick cloth, which was used by military personnel to carry their personal belongings, and was opened and closed by means of a drawstring at the top.
On November 12, 1955, Marty McFly used a duffel bag stuffed full of clothes to create a homemade body bag while teaching his future father George how to fight. It worked well — until George hit the bag so hard it flew loose from the T-bar of the clothesline where it was hanging, sailed through the air and shattered a window of the McFly residence.
Dr. Emmett Brown bought two duffel bags full of military tools and supplies from the Hill Valley Army/Navy Store on November 14 for his and Marty's excavation of the DeLorean time machine from the Delgado Mine, where it had been hidden by Doc's 1985 counterpart after he became stranded in 1885 when the hover converted DeLorean was struck by lightning on the night of November 12.
Behind the scenes
- A duffel bag is also known as a kitbag (military) or gym bag (school) in the U.K., and is sometimes referred to as a seabag when used by sailors or marines.
- The Nike Footwear bag in 2015 is referred to by Back to the Predictions as a Nike Footwear Duffel Bag, even though it is nothing like the traditional drawstring cloth duffel bag.
- A duffel bag is also sometimes spelled as 'duffle bag'. However, since 'duffel' is the spelling used in George Gipe's and Craig Shaw Gardner's respective novelizations of Back to the Future and Back to the Future Part III, as well as on Wikipedia and Back to the Predictions, it has therefore been adopted here.
- Nike Footwear Duffel Bag – Back to the Predictions (see 'External links' below)