Judge Erhardt Brown, formerly Judge Erhardt von Braun, was the father of Emmett L. Brown. What is known of him is that he arrived in Hill Valley with the rest of the family in 1908 when they were still known as the Von Brauns and that he changed their surname to Brown in the First World War.
Erhardt first moved to America when he was a kid, despite the disapproval of his father and the lack of money & lack of clarity of the language. Eventually he and his father would make amends, but presumably Mr. Von Braun passed away shortly.
Erhardt would later become a judge, and pressured Emmett into working for him (with intents of him pursuing a career in law). He would face disappoint on June 13, 1931, as Emmett quit his job and declared his interest in following science.
On October 13, 1931, Erhardt arrived at the Hill Valley Science Expo to prevent Emmett from demonstrating his Electrokinetic Levitator (In the unaltered timeline, Emmett did the experiment without Erhardt's knowledge). He objected to it as he believe that Emmett's experiment is an unnecessary risk, only to have changed his mind when Marty made him realize that he is repeating the actions of his father. Erhardt allowed the experiment to proceed, with the intent to support Emmett whether it succeeded or not.
Sometime after, Erhardt would present an annual scholarship called the Erhardt Scholarship for Young Scientist. Doc would continue presenting it as of 1986 after Erhardt passed away.
Behind the scenes
Before Back to the Future: The Game, no mention of Judge Brown or Judge von Braun was made in the materials associated with Back to the Future, including the only animated series episode describing Emmett's childhood, "Gone Fishin'".
- Back to the Future Part III (First indirectly mentioned)
- Back to the Future: The Game
- Back to the Future: The Game - Episode 1: It's About Time (First heard)
- Back to the Future: The Game - Episode 2: Get Tannen! (Mentioned only)
- Back to the Future: The Game - Episode 3: Citizen Brown (Silhouetted photo)
- Back to the Future: The Game - Episode 4: Double Visions (Mentioned only)
- Back to the Future: The Game - Episode 5: OUTATIME (1st full appearance)
- Citizen Brown states that Erhardt died before Marty was born.