- " 'The overload shorted out the time circuits and destroyed the flying circuits. Unfortunately the car will never fly again.' It actually flew? "
- —1955 Doc reading aloud the letter his older 1985 self sent from 1885.
The flying circuits enabled the DeLorean to fly, in addition to tires that rotated to provide upward thrust.
These were unfortunately destroyed by a jigowatt overload caused by the DeLorean being struck by lightning during the Hill Valley Thunderstorm on November 12, 1955, which in turn sent it and Doc back to 1885. Doc mentioned this, as well as the car never being able to fly again, in the letter he sent via several generations of Western Union to Marty McFly in 1955, which was delivered by one of their employees shortly after Marty saw the DeLorean vanish.
- Back to the Future (By way of flying DeLorean)
- Back to the Future Part II (By way of flying DeLorean)
- Back to the Future Part III (Mentioned in passing)