- "Then [after the DeLorean time machine had disappeared], a tiny, metallic sound, tinkly in quality, echoed across the lot. His fingers trembling, Marty zoomed in to the object. / It was the DeLorean's license plate, a vanity plate that read: OUTATIME."
- —From Back to the Future by George Gipe (quote, page 50)
Two license plates appeared on the DeLorean time machine:
Other license plates seen on-screen were (in order of appearance):
- 1JVB988: Mr. Parker's AMC Eagle, circa 1984
- 6H 96472: Biff Tannen's Ford Super De Luxe Convertible, circa 1955
- 6S 48405: Sam Baines's Chevrolet Bel Air, circa 1955
- 8N 39742: Dr. Emmett Brown's Packard, circa 1955
- 3A709T8: George McFly's BMW 733i, circa 1985
- 2EZP916 (Part I) / 2BAK860 (Part II and Part III): Marty McFly's Toyota Hilux 4X4, circa 1985
Note: The above listing refers only to vehicles driven by the main characters in the movies and/or members of their families.
Although California law in 1985 required that a car have two license plates (one for the front and one for the back), some cars — including the DeLorean — only displayed the rear plate. Marty's truck had a front license plate when he opened the garage door on Saturday morning, October 26, but he apparently removed the front plate before he drove the truck the next morning.
Both the 1985 vanity plate and the 2015 barcode plate fell off the DeLorean. In each case, the plate landed upright, on one of its corners, and spun around for a while after falling off. The vanity plate fell off after overheating during the first temporal experiment, and spun on the parking lot of Twin Pines Mall. The barcode plate came off when the DeLorean was destroyed by the impact of being struck by the Alco S6 locomotive; the plate landed on the track after the train had passed, and continued to spin.
Behind the scenes
- License plates are known as number plates or registration plates in the U.K.
- The OUTATIME vanity plate bears the date stamps AUG and 86. (The 86 sticker also bears the California state abbreviation CA and the identification number N 52654.)
This is a disambiguation page — a navigational aid which lists other pages that might otherwise share the same title. If an article link referred you here, you might want to go back and fix it to point directly to the intended page.
(This may have been a disambiguation page at one time, but is no longer used in that manner.)
- Barcode license plate
- Vehicle registration plate on Wikipedia
- Vehicle registration plates of the United States on Wikipedia