- Lou: "Hey, kid! Whad'da do, jump ship?"
- Marty: "What?"
- Lou: "What's with the life preserver?"
- — Lou Caruthers to Marty McFly in 1955
A life preserver was a device worn to aid flotation in the event of falling overboard from a boat.
In Lou's Cafe, the down vest caught the attention of Skinhead, who declared Marty a dork for wearing a life preserver on dry land, saying "Hey, Biff. Get a load of this guy's life preserver. Dork thinks he's gonna drown!" — much to the amusement of Biff, Match and 3-D.
Behind the scenes
- A life preserver is known by several names: personal flotation device, life jacket, life belt and life vest to name but a few.
- Back to the Future (Mentioned only)