- " The model locomotive started up as Doc completed the connection [from his refrigerator], pushing a roughly carved wooden model of the DeLorean. "
- —From Back to the Future Part III by Craig Shaw Gardner (quote, page 107)
It was a small scale version of the DeLorean time machine.
Doc made the miniature DeLorean model, which was labeled TIME MACHINE in white on the hood, and used it to show Marty McFly on September 5, 1885 how their plan to return to 1985 using the locomotive would work.
Behind the scenes
- The vacuum tube assemblage on the hood of the real DeLorean isn't present on the model, but this is possibly to make room for the TIME MACHINE label.
- The model DeLorean is described as being made from wood in Craig Shaw Gardner's novelization (see Quote above), but the prop itself was metal.
- The original prop was sold along with the train for US$30,000.00 on December 16, 2011 and can be found on icollector here.