According to a news story titled 3 injured when mom re-hydrates pizza slices on the front page of the October 22, 2015 issue of USA Today, Dontanovich and two of her four children were injured when her hydrator exploded as she attempted to re-hydrate two pizza slices from the night before, trying to double the portions for the children's breakfast. This case was investigated by Hill Valley Police Detective Dana Mitchell.
Despite the fact that Dontanovich had forced the hydrator door shut to override the safety mechanism, she blamed the accident on faulty manufacturing and complained that not only could her kids have been killed, but also she got red wine stains all over her favorite bathrobe "from where that flying hot pepperoni hit my arm" — to quote her words.
However, Evan Russell, Senior Public Relations Officer for Hyperion Hydrators, considered this "a case of obvious misuse and owner irresponsibility", saying re-hydration was "not only dangerous, but results in tasteless, waterlogged food", and that Dontanovich should be charged with "reckless child endangerment".
- Back to the Future Part II (in front page newspaper story)
- Special "front page wrap" for real life October 22, 2015 issue of USA Today (see 'External links' below)