- "He [Doc] was dreamily anticipating public reaction to his coming experiment when he suddenly realized he had forgotten one of the most important tools to be used. / "Damn," he muttered. / Fortunately, it was 1985 rather than the old days when he would have been forced to find a public telephone booth somewhere in the mall. Reaching under the dashboard [of his step-van], he pulled out his telephone and began to dial."
- —From Back to the Future by George Gipe (quote, page 42)
A telephone, or simply phone, was a device for audio communication with other users of other telephones, while a telephone call was an audio conversation or message that could be sent and received using a telephone.
On October 25, 1985, Marty McFly received a telephone call at Dr. Emmett Brown's garage from Doc himself, warning Marty not to use the large amplifier there to play his guitar as it might overload. Unfortunately, Doc's warning had come too late, as Marty had already played a "power chord", been thrown backwards into a bookcase, and blown the speaker out.
Known phone numbers
- 1931, Phone Booth of the Future: KL-4253
- 1955, Dr. Emmett Brown: KL 5-4385
- 1955, Lou's Cafe: KL 5-438 (as shown on Marty's warning letter to Doc)
- 1985, Jennifer Parker's grandma: (on-screen) 555-4823, (novelization) 243-8480